COVID 19 LATEST
Dear Berkeley Community,
I hope this message finds you all well and healthy, and that you are enjoying your holidays. As you undoubtedly know, despite the government’s vaccination drive the Covid-19 situation in Bangkok and the surrounding provinces has continued to deteriorate, with the government recently announcing more measures designed to reduce transmission of the disease.
Berkeley’s goal in responding to the Covid situation in Thailand has always been the same: to provide our students with the best chance to learn in person at school, and when this is impossible to provide the best online learning experience possible. In keeping with this goal, the school administration has decided it is in the best interests of the students to delay the reopening of school for two weeks, until Monday, August 16th. We feel that this will provide a number of potential benefits to our students, including increasing the likelihood of opening to in-person learning and allowing our teaching staff receiving the Sinopharm vaccine this month to get their second vaccination dose before our first day. In addition, among the measures recently announced by the government is a direction to keep schools closed to in-person learning until at least the end of July, and perhaps longer. Previous experience tells us that the next government update on school reopening will therefore come on or around July 30th, so the new start date will allow more time for the school to best respond to whatever the government dictates than we would have had with our previous start date of August 2nd.
We have made room in the school calendar to accommodate the delayed reopening by shortening the October break and making December 10th, April 6th, and May 17th normal school days. We will therefore have the same number of school days as we had with our original opening date, and the school year will still end on June 10th. Our updated calendar is attached to this message, and is also available on our website.
Due to other scheduling pressures and fixed testing dates for our external testing programs, further adjustments to the opening date will not be possible. Therefore the August 16th opening date is firm, and school will resume that day - hopefully in person, but also online or using a hybrid model if we must.
Thank you for your understanding and support regarding this adjustment. As always, please feel free to reach out if you have any questions.
Head of School